Feeding chicken meds.....CANT get her to open her mouth!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Calichicken2015, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

OK...need some suggestions! I took my girl to the vet and they gave her TWO types of oral meds[​IMG] Of course being the suspicious chicken....she won't open her mouth and eat it...even when I squirt a little one the side of her beak. I tried putting it in yogurt, but she is not wanting to eat much so she's not getting all the meds. Anyone know how I could get it in her mouth a syringe? I feel like this is the only way I can be sure she is getting it all [​IMG] Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If it's liquid try injecting it into some grapes?
    I also read somewhere someone injected meds into dried mealworms, might be worth a shot.

If you have no needle, try soaking small pieces of bread in your liquid meds.

Just a thought[​IMG]

3. Calichicken2015

Thanks! The grapes might work...she loves those as well as watermelon. She is just such a suspicious girl that anything the looks different she wont try. I got one of the meds in her with yogurt but she wasn't hungry for the second one at anytime during the evening. Need to see where I could find a needle to inject into them. Then maybe one could be given in yogurt and one in fruit.

4. Calichicken2015

Good morning! Any other thoughts? She still is not wanting to eat much so putting it in food isn't going to work well in getting her all the meds [​IMG]She is just not wanting to open her beak to drink it. I have been trying to dribble it on the side and she gets a little...but we both are wearing it too!

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  6. Wilebaum

Wilebaum Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Just grab her firmly by the head while she's in your lap and force her beak open with your fingers. She won't like it one bit.

7. MAJESTICHEN

MAJESTICHEN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2016
    If you can hold her still, saueeze the side corners of her beak and she will open her mouth, we do it all the time for de-worming stuff.

8. Calichicken2015

OK...round TWO!!! I know I have to be careful not to get it in her airway so I need to make sure when I get her mouth open to sqeeze the meds down the side of her beak...not the middle??

9. Calichicken2015

Thank you for the link! At least now I understand perfectly where the syringe needs to be! I feel so mean...but telling her its for her own good!!! Wish me luck!!!!!

10. MAJESTICHEN

MAJESTICHEN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps!!!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by