Feeding Chickens AND a Turkey

Cmead

Hatching
May 1, 2020
I have been having trouble figuring out what to feed our flock...
I have 2 hens over a year old who are getting layer feed.
We recently got 11 more chickens and 1 turkey poults who are all 9 weeks of age. They are currently in a separate quarantine pen and will be for another 2 weeks. I have realized my turkey is needing higher protein feed...I can get both 22% all flock feed and a 28% feed for turkeys specifically at my local feed supply store.

What should I be feeding them so they all get what they need? Should I have a higher turkey feeder? Would the younger chickens be okay on the 22%? What about when they are moved into the coop with the older girls?

Thank you all so much in advance.
Sincerely,
A newbie chicken owner.

I know many people have different experiences but it is recommended not to keep poults and chicks together, same as don’t keep turkeys and chickens together. They can maybe free range together but as far as being confined together it’s best not to.

Apart from requiring different protein amounts, turkeys/poults can get sick from being around chickens. I barely got my first set of poults so I have no extensive experience when it comes to that, but everywhere I’ve read (books & online) highly recommend to keep them separate due to how easily turkeys can get sick from chickens.

Back
Top Bottom