Feeding chickens CAT FOOD!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jen5680, Dec 8, 2009.

1. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Ok a lady that shows her chickens said that she only feeds them cat food.
    I was like what the heck??? Has anyone else ever heard of this and how
    could this be good for them?

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I have on occasion when I run out and I've read it's ok on occasion but not as a rule. I think it's the taurins that can build up in their system and cause problems. Mine love it when they get it but I do give it very cautiously.

3. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    I was told to grind up Special Kitty and mix it with the feed. It is 40% protien and helps them grow and makes them stronger.

4. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have actually been told by another lady
    that her husband mixes cat food into other chicken feed for her husband's prize game birds before. I believe she said that cat food contains a lot of protein?

5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Lots of people feed cat food to chickens during molts. The extra protien helps support feather productions. I don't know how it would be for exclusive feed.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    QUALITY cat food contains a lot of protein. I feed my cats Taste of the Wild. I also use the cat food as a duck treat and I break up pieces and give some to my quail along with their game bird feed.

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Cat food should not be a steady diet but a booster. The real cheap cat food are purty close to some chicken feeds but with higher protien. So many use them as a booster after moult and to get pullets to lay that are old enough.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    ONLY feeding cat food isnt a good idea. (I wouldnt guess.)

Wouldnt it be REALLY expensive too?

9. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Just a thought...cat food is about $1 per pound and is about 30% protein (read the nutritional label on the side for the brand you choose). Kitten food is a bit higher, cheap adult food may be a bit lower.

Purina Gamebird Starter is 30% protein and it only costs about $34 for 50 pounds = $0.68 per pound.

The only advantage I see to the cat food is that it might (read the label for ingredients) contain more animal protein than any bird food.

10. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I have some free ranged batams that get into our shed and eat the cat food that's out for...well duh, our cats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by