feeding chickens chicken's meat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nizar, Sep 21, 2011.

1. nizar

nizar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    I heard that it is dangerous for any species to eat their meat, because their stomach aren't gonna digest it. is the right.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    No, that is not right. Chickens do fine on chicken meat. It's us humans that have a problem with it.

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    its like silence of the chickens! LOL. I feed mine wet dog food to get a protein boost when they molt and they have no problems with being little cannibals [​IMG]

4. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I have let them have the carcass from Thanksgiving turkeys, as well as the carcass from roasted chicken. They have picked them all clean and been perfectly happy.

I don't do it anymore only because I have several egg buyers who want organic, antibiotic-free, vegetarian-fed etc eggs. So I do what I can to accommodate them. However, in the winter when the eggs slow down and it's just us eating them, I will probably let them pick a carcass again. I like not wasting anything, and they get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Incidentally, I have found my free range chickens stealing gophers, birds, mice and what-not from my cats. The raw birds don't seem to bother them, either. I think it's gross, but they do it rather gleefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by