Feeding chickens cooked chicken? Is it ethical?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cupman, Jul 25, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I fed my chickens chicken and they ate it all, even the bones. I told my friend this and he freaked out. I told another friend this and he called me a monster. What do you guys think? Should I not do that anymore?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You're not a monster. It's normal. A chicken will eat anything. Just don't tell people who don't know and cannot handle the truth.

3. CajunWildTurkey

CajunWildTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    My wife freak at first when I fed our chickens cook chicken out of fear of cannibalism. I told her as long as it's cook they won't turn in to chicken vampires. LOL

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    T think the very first snack I gave my chicks was leftover takeout fried chicken - and they were only a few weeks old! I cut it up pretty small & they lobed it. They ate the whole Christmas turkey carcass. The only think left was the leg bones.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    CANNIBALISM, cannibalism--- not really. It's another good source of protein.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Fred's Hens :

You're not a monster. It's normal. A chicken will eat anything. Just don't tell people who don't know and cannot handle the truth.

Agreed​

7. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    If you are a monster for doing it I think we are all monsters for doing it at least once.

8. gregnuttle

gregnuttle Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Just to play devil's advocate here, do we really need to feed our chickens chicken? I mean, I'm sure it doesn't do any psychological damage to the chickens. They don't care, and they will never know better. But we know. You know that you did it. I think it feels creepy because it is creepy. That said, I've done it.

9. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Ethical? Of course it's not ethical! Next thing you know, they will have little hockey masks and chainsaws, and all heck will break out in the coop!

(Just don't let your friends know how we dispose of the odds and ends on slaughter day, 'kay? [​IMG] )

10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I threw the carcass of a store bought chicken outside last night and they picked the bones clean. The truth is that chickens will eat an injured chicken anyways. They are cannibalistic scavenging animals. They know they taste good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by