1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding chickens deer meat.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RichnSteph, Feb 17, 2015.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    While grinding up some deer for hamburger I have to occasionally take the grinder apart and pull the tendons and silver out of the cutting area. Since I'm doing this outside I just toss the pieces out to the chickens and they really enjoy the added treat. So it got me to wondering if it'd do any harm to keep the leftover parts and pieces that we don't eat (flanks, liver, heart, etc..) and grind that up for chicken feed. Of course it'd be just like the scratch in that it's a treat and not more than 5-10% of their overall daily intake.

Thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great protein addition, and a practice that I carried out for years.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This would be an EXCELLENT thing to feed your birds - animal protein is a great component of any feed program, imo.

4. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    That's awesome! Just one more reason I need to go deer hunting every year.

Thanks folks.

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have friends that collect road kill for the same purpose...

6. carolb5

carolb5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Montana
    We save all our butcher trim-scraps for the chickens. Deer, beef, pork. We grind and freeze it. We even raise our Cornish cross on meat scraps. Great source of protein.

Carol

7. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I roasted a turkey sunday. Took the carcass (with a bit of meat on it) to the hen house. They loved it.

I thought it was a bit cannibalistic lol.

Chickens love meat...have you ever seen on with a mouse? All the hens will chase the chicken with the great snack and try to steal it.

8. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    That's a great idea and gives them a very good source of protein. After removing meat from the deer carcass for us, my husband sometimes leaves the carcass outside for a few weeks for the chickens to peck at. They LOVE it. This obviously works better if it's cold outside, and if the carcass won't cause problems with other critters (e.g., a neighbor's dog).

9. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Our chickens are the clean-up crew whenever I process one of their own or more recently the roadkill deers I processed(sort of processed-new to that).Was a huge problem keeping the chix away until I could tend to the deer so finally found a huge tarp(and chickens are good at maneuvering under tarps for food also!)and had to put cement blocks on tarp to keep chix out.They no longer pasture and are free ranged in their pen so that should help with their unwanted assistance in the future but I will need to find inexpensive protein treats for them and this may be a good idea( ground deer parts).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by