Feeding chickens efficiently/free?

ChickenJoe007

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2018
So I currently have moved unto a large acreage property and I’m in the process in trying to “live off the land” type situations. I’m looking at all ways to cut cost and be efficient as possible.

I’m curious to see if anyone has found ways to to feed your chickens cheaply?.

One of the ways I wanted to do so was from veggie scraps/leftovers and veggie scraps from my garden on top of free ranging. I still plan to feed my chickens “feed” every day with other things such as milo, oyster shells and etc but in lower amounts if I can find cheap alternative ways to feed them. My main concern is I still want to make sure my chickens are happy and fed well. Are there things I can grow to feed them?.

Any ideas or thoughts about feeding chickens efficiently and cheaply would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Same project happening at my house this year.

Look up Justin Rhodes on YouTube. He has a video on feeding chickens for free, or something similar, but he moves his around a ton of land daily. I don't have enough land for that, so I intend a lot of their nutrients to come from the copious amounts of ticks and veggie scraps with supplemental feed.

My oldest plans on growing a constant supply of fodder for them, also.

If you have the space, you can grow any number of things to help supplement. You might want to consider something that's high in protein, as veggie scraps and forage may reduce their overall protein intake as a % of their food.

Food scraps from off property are also something worth exploring, especially if you can find someone willing to pay you to take them!

Look up how to grow meal worms. Just make sure you don't let them escape! I feed them one at a time. The chickens love them.

I’ve considered that. As I have a start up worm farm already. I’ve heard worms can give chickens well um “worms” I’m not sure if meal worms do though as they seemed to be advertised for chickens

Last edited:
The more they range, the less commercial feed they eat. they like fresh produce like corn and squash but need lots of calcium and proteins too.

In winter ranging will not provide adequate food for even a portion of their diets unless you live in like Florida or California.

Back
Top Bottom