Feeding chickens for commercial sale

GT Earthan

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
Hi I am trying to set up a small poultry farm to sell poultry products in my neighborhood. I grow native country chickens there are totally 50 of them including hens and roosters. They are 8 months old and some of they have begun laying eggs. Can someone give me tips to reduce dependence commercial feed ?
P.S.
I provide them with 24/7 supply of commercial feed. Once a day I feed them fermented rice and wheat whole grains, Wheat husk mixed with cooked rice ,kitchen scraps, powdered egg shells, Garden weeds and leafy vegetables daily(These mentioned products I procure free of cost except the commercial feed) still they seem ravenous for commercial feed even after providing with these additional foods.

Hi I am trying to set up a small poultry farm to sell poultry products in my neighborhood. I grow native country chickens there are totally 50 of them including hens and roosters. They are 8 months old and some of they have begun laying eggs. Can someone give me tips to reduce dependence commercial feed ?
P.S.
I provide them with 24/7 supply of commercial feed. Once a day I feed them fermented rice and wheat whole grains, Wheat husk mixed with cooked rice ,kitchen scraps, powdered egg shells, Garden weeds and leafy vegetables daily(These mentioned products I procure free of cost except the commercial feed) still they seem ravenous for commercial feed even after providing with these additional foods.
They are ravenous for the commercial feed because what you are providing isn't meeting their needs. There are requirements for a variety of micro and macronutrients. When you feed all that other stuff without balancing it to meet their needs, you are causing them to be deficient and malnourished.
The only way to supplement commercial and not just buy something different and more expensive to feed them is to have a very large area (acres) of mixed forest and field that offers lots of healthy plants and a variety of insects for them to forage.

There are ways to supplement or even replace commercial feed, but it takes more planning and work than feeding commercial feed.

Based on what you’re currently supplementing with, I’d guess your flock is ravenous for protein. So, do you have a cheap, steady supply of additional protein?

There are ways to supplement or even replace commercial feed, but it takes more planning and work than feeding commercial feed.

Based on what you’re currently supplementing with, I’d guess your flock is ravenous for protein. So, do you have a cheap, steady supply of additional protein?
For protein I provide thrice a week with raw fish, prawn or mutton entrails

I would recommend staying on the commercial feed and reading up on the basic needs of poultry.
Keep in mind that the average chicken needs about 1250 to 1350 Kcal/LB of Metabolized Energy per day and that a chicken eats to fill that caloric need.
Too much Kcal they don't they eat enough, too little of Kcal and they eat too much.
So that means that a bird need to take in ALL it's nutritional need with in the time it take in 1250 to 1350 Kcal/LB of Metabolized Energy.

Back
Top Bottom