Feeding Chickens fruit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by speckles, Oct 10, 2009.

1. speckles

speckles Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Petersburg Alaska
    Hi,

Is it safe to feed chickens fruit? I have heard that if you feed them fruit they will stop laying for up to 2 weeks. Can somebody tell me if this is true..

Also is it ok to use a red light on adult birds for a couple of hours a day?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks
    Cheryl

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I just now feed my chickens oranges and lemons. I'm not getting many eggs right now anyway. If they quit laying altogether, I'll let you know.[​IMG]

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Mine eat fruit as a treat, they still lay.

No citrus tho.... they arent interested in it /shrug. Apples and melons tho...grapes...pears....they love em!!

4. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    My silky goes ape for some grapes. She will protect her pile from the other chickens.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    As much as they like fruit, I think they can load up on it and not get enough protein to produce their eggs.

I don't have citrus trees and don't know what the admonition is on feeding citrus but the hens can sure eat fallen peaches like there's no tomorrow.

A peach is about 10% sugar and about 1% protein. That's a little short of what a laying hen needs as a major part of her diet.

Steve

6. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Citrus fruit is very acidic and is not recommend for feeding chickens. It lowers the calcium and produce thin shelled eggs or no eggs at all winter or summer it's not good for them. Most other fruits are good for them and they will love them.
    It doesn't matter what other people feed their chickens. It's what you feed your chickens that is important.
    Here is just one of many articles I found searching Google supporting that argument.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-pick-treats-for-chickens.html

Just some friendly, knowledgeable advise. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I give mine fruit off and on. Gave them a cantaloupe the other day and they loooooved it. They still pick at the poor little empty rind......

I did cut open a watermelon today that was WAY overripe. ABout half of the inside is mush. Is this still good to give them? I assume it is.....it doesn't smell bad or anything, just mushy.......

8. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    The watermelon should be fine. Mine ate a whole one that was over ripe and never a problem. Mine did get watery pink poo for a day though, but it was just the watermelon.

9. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I've heard citrus fruit is bad for chickens but could never find why. Of course I didn't look very hard either. My girls get fruit almost daily during the summer and I haven't noticed any decline in eggs. The shells are definitely not thin either. I have head that citric acid does reduce the protein absorption in humans, but that is mainly with grapefruit which is extremely high in citric acid.

10. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    My hens free-range all day, eating dates by the pound. They all still lay one egg a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by