Feeding Chickens Green Tomatos

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by al6517, Oct 30, 2008.

1. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    We have had our first frost of the season these past 3 days, and i have at least 150 green Tomatos still on the vines. Do you think it will be OK to feed these green Tomatos to my chickens??. I do know that green Tomato plants are a no no, just did not want these good lookin maters to go to waste.

AL

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am not sure if they will even eat green tomatoes [​IMG] As for the safe issue, maybe someone else can answer that part.

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    My chickens ate all the ones in our garden, they really only eat the inside. We rototilled the garden and they ate everything that was left. The kids went out and squished all the ones that didn't get broke open and the chickens would follow them around eating them as fast as they could break them open. [​IMG]

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Mine ate the green even before they turned red... We got 10 from the garden the chickens beat us to the rest [​IMG]

5. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave my chickens some tomatoes yesterday afternoon. They seemed to like them.
    However, later I noticed they had some loud, watery poop shootin' out of them. I had never heard them poop before.

6. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:LOL Your supposed to fry 'em and eat 'em, not feed 'em to your chickens! Or you could just give me some of 'em... [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sounding good so far, I do think if I do it wil probably be in moderation.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by