Feeding Chickens Kitchen Scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bloomin' Chickens, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Bloomin' Chickens

Bloomin' Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    I kind of stumbled into this idea by keeping a container in the kitchen for scraps to feed to the chickens. I have (2) containers, one for wet scraps, which I give to the chickens regularly and a second container for dry ingredients. I start the dry ingredient container with seed like BOSS, Cracked Corn and a little bit of bird seed (use bird seed sparingly). Whenever I have egg shells, I put them in the oven at 250 degrees for a while, crumble them up and throw them in the mix. If I have stale bread, I dry that in the oven with the egg shells and crumble that in the mix. I added some Diatomaceous Earth to the mix because I like my birds to get that once in a while, plus it's a good dry ingredient. Now you can do a couple things, I take some of these ingredients and add Gelatine to it to make seed cakes. The Chickens love it. Or when I have left overs or scrappings in a fry pan or sauce pan, I take a couple cups of the seed mixture and put it in the pan to soak up the leftovers. What's cool is that when you stir the seed mixture around in the pan it actually scrapes up the leftovers, so when you wash the pan you don't have a bunch of junk to wash down the drain. I've done this with leftover bacon grease, spaghetti sauce, oatmeal etc... I've also put the seed mixture in a finished yogurt cup, soup can, butter container etc... anything that has leftover liquid in it that the chickens would like. When your done cooking, the seed mixture with the leftovers in it, can be put in its own container and fed to the chix. If I have too much for one feeding, I just put the rest in the frig or freezer depending on when I think I'll use it. Just keep the dry ingredient container on hand and you'll be surprised how many things you can do with it. My chickens eat this stuff like they've been starved for months. Just remember that this is really a treat for the birds and it doesn't contain everything the birds need to stay healthy in the long run. Have fun!!

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    [​IMG]

I've been dumping my scraps in a pot, then in the fridge. On weekends I cook it all with a handful of rice and a lot of water; congee surprise! They love it. I'll have to give your dry mix a whirl.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Really cool idea!!

I have a "chicken snacks" container that I fill up everyday with scraps, and all the family members know to throw their leftovers in there.

I love the idea of a dry and wet treat container, though...[​IMG]

4. Bloomin' Chickens

Bloomin' Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    I just make this dry ingredient thing part of my clean-up routine, it really doesn't take up extra time, which I don't have. I'm always trying to find something I can do to recycle and reuse as much as I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by