Feeding chickens leftovers from juicer. Too much fiber?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenBiscuit, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ChickenBiscuit

ChickenBiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I just started juicing and I wonder if I can feed my ladies all the scraps that are leftover. For those of you unfamiliar with juicing, we're talking about a whole mixing bowl of veggies and fruit, reduced to a cup of pulp. I hate the thought of throwing it away, especially having chickens. BUT, I'm concerned about all that straight concentrated roughage in their diet. Like it could get them all "blocked" or something. What do you think?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Nope...it's good for them! My mom juiced carrots every morning for about 17 years and gave the pulp to the dog and the chickens...both loved it and did well with it.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am pretty sure that chickens when feeding to their own interests in a free-range setting, will consume more fiber from plant matrials than you will provide as table scraps. My birds when eating their most preferred diet in late spring produce feces that nearly 50% plant fiber by weight. They have a limited capacity to digest fiber and fiber may enhance normal gut function.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It's a great food for them, go ahead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by