Feeding chickens meat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lorraine Perth, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Lorraine Perth

Lorraine Perth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    Is it necessary to feed chickens meat? I would prefer not to. They have access to laying pellets all the time and I give them fruit and vegetable food scraps

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Is there a reason you prefer not to?

In answer to your question, no, it isn't necessary to feed them meat. Many (millions of hens) chickens around the world survive on a vegetarian feed.
    That said, chickens are omnivores. They are also scavengers and opportunists. They have been thus for hundreds of thousands of years. They relish bugs and worms. I see them eat frogs and mice.
    With that in mind, they benefit from animal protein.
    A chicken, left to it's own devices on pristine pasture will eat a blend of seeds, vegetation and animal protein.
    IMO, reinventing the wheel isn't the best move.

3. Lorraine Perth

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    No other reason then I would rarely have any meat scrapes to give them and I was wondering should I include it. Thanks for the reply

4. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    How about something easy like a can of mackerel? They love meat and this is an easy quick way. Or how about leftover chicken soup? Make a hot mash with your feed and give them a treat. I don't know if you have reservations of feeding chicken but It's a natural way. [​IMG]

5. Lorraine Perth

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    No reservations just wondering if they needed it. Canned mackerel sounds perfect!

6. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Look on the can. It really bumps up the protein.

7. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    If they have layer pellets at all times, no you don't have to feed them anything extra. But as ChickenCanoe pointed out, they are omnivores and love to eat meat, fruit, veg, and seeds. I throw all our leftovers and table scraps in with our birds. Everything. They love it and not only does it not involve buying extra food to give them, it cuts down on feed I've got to buy.

8. ranchodejo

ranchodejo New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    South Florida
    What foods shouldn't be given to chickens. I have some left over cooked grits that has butter & salt. Would that be okay?

9. KatsChicks

KatsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    So I can give them Beef, Pork and Chicken if I have Leftovers? I wasn't sure about feeding them Meat so so far I've always picked out the Meat of Pasta and such. Ranchodejo, I'm sure the Grits would be ok and they will love them :)

10. skippyscage

skippyscage Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    chickens are omnivores, they love meat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by