Feeding chickens old human food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nestled Chickens, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Nestled Chickens

Nestled Chickens Chirping

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    How old is too old for leftovers to be fed to chickens?

I have a father-in-law who keeps feeding my chickens food that is too old for us to eat- today it was scallops that were over a week old! Aren't chickens susceptible to illness from old or bad food? I don't want a bunch of sick chickens on my hands.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    No rotten or spoiled food. That is: no smells, visible molds, or putrid liquids.

I clean out my fridge every Friday, toss everything in the big boil pot, and over-cook it all into chicken mash. I let it cool and give them the nasty glop in the morning. They love it, and I know any bacteria have been killed.

3. Nestled Chickens

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you. We had a bit of a run in with each other when I found out that he was feeding "borderline" seafood to my chickens. I've also caught him feeding old cheese to them. He is driving me crazy!

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    old cheese: ok--just cut off the mold.

super oldy moldy cheese, semi-liquified: make dad eat it.

5. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] good Idea. my garbage day s Wednesday. I should start doing this Tuesday nights

6. Quote:[​IMG]

7. Nestled Chickens

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:That's how I knew it was too old for human consumption. He would eat it. There was one time he gave me some milk "that he just couldn't use up. There was nothing wrong with it, it was just borderline." I made myself a latte and spit it out...rotten!

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Boil that milk. Mmmm.....curds and whey. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by