Feeding Chickens on a large scale.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Celtic Hill, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I was wondering what is an average number a large fowl laying hen would eat per day of laying pellets? Also, how manny feeders should i figure for 100 hens?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Average 2 ounces per day per bird, and feeders....depends on how large the feeders are. The feed ammount should help you chose though. If you get larger birds they will eat above average, smaller would eat below average, but this at least gives you an idea. [​IMG]

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Closer to six ounces per bird per day for large fowl of the dual purpose breeds, slightly less for Leghorns and the like. For a hundred birds I'd set out at least four to as many as six tube feeders.

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

For Brown Egg Layers I'd budget for around 5 oz per day or roughly 1/3 lb.

Leghorn type white egg layers will be closer to 1/4 lb.

Jim

5. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    That make Sense!

What kind of feeder would be most efficient?

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I only feed about 2 ounces a day...but I didn't take into account mine get scraps and sprouts and forage really well...guess 5-6 ounces is more accurate for most.

7. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    A.T. Hagan :

Closer to six ounces per bird per day for large fowl of the dual purpose breeds, slightly less for Leghorns and the like. For a hundred birds I'd set out at least four to as many as six tube feeders.

Those long metal ones?​

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    These:

[​IMG]

9. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    In industrial facilities pre-peak (92%+ rate of lay) Leghorn type (white egg layers) get 23 to 24 lbs of feed per hundred per day. That is 3.75 ounces approximatley. Industrial Brown egg layers (those would be ISA Browns and others commonly known as Golden Comets) eat slightly more because they are bigger and produce greater egg mass. They are fed as much as 25 lbs per hundred per day which is about 4 ounces per bird per day.
    As the birds pass their peak production point they will not eat as much feed but still more than they need for the rate of lay. The Leghorns will put on a little size and fat but not as much as the brown egg layers.
    In the industrial situation we limit feed post peak because of the unwanted weight gain and the hen's ability to lay an increased size egg. Neither of which is wanted.

Remember that this is the only feed these birds get and it is strictly formulated to address all factors- especially cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by