1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding chickens potato peels - bad idea?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gonda, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Gonda

Gonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I've read that there are different opinions around feeding chickens potato peels. Anyone have any advice on that? We did it with our previous flock, not sure if we should do it with our new flock. It didn't seem to harm the others; not sure what the possible risk is. Anyone know?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I have fed potato peels also, Gonda. Nothing bad happened.

Green potatoes, and especially the skins and growing eyes, have solanine which is toxic.

Steve

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've fed mine potato peels numerous times.

No problems.

4. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I have always been told that COOKED peels are fine....raw are not. Apparently they have toxins in the peelings that can eventually have adverse efects on them. Now, wether or not this is true? I cannot tell you. I just know what I have been told for years...so I just save my peels and boil them up with the other other scraps.

Perhaps others here with much more knowlege than I can help in the truth of the matter [​IMG]

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    [​IMG] I just gave my girls potato skins tonight, and now I see this post! It's not the first time they've had "skins" though, and nothing bad has ever happened, so maybe it's only big quantities that are toxic (if at all)? [​IMG]

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I know that it's a big debate here on BYC. I have not fed my chickens any potato peels - they just don't seem that appetizing anyway.

I do know that my grandma used to feed her chickens potato peels and she never bought eggs while I grew up. [​IMG]

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:If you have fed them in the past with no apparent ill effect why would yoy now assume there might be a problem?

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    We eat all our potatoes with the peels on, mmmmm. None left for the chickens.

9. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:I agree - I love my potatos with the peels on, but hubby doesn't like the peels on unless they are baked [​IMG]

Now that I think about it, this is kind of like what people say you shouldn't give your horses. I had a horse that would eat black walnut, which is supposed to be deadly, and he is still with me, healthy as ever, 18 years later [​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Like Digits said, it is the green sunburned potato skins that have the poison in them. Regular peels are fine. Humans should not eat the green ones either.

I don't know if the solanine builds up over time and has to reach a certain level to be harmful, if it is regularly flushed out of the system, or if it does a small amount of damage when it is ingested. Its possible some chickens are more sensative to it. I truly don't know the details of how much it takes to be harmful. And it is quite possible that it does some damage and weakens the system so when the bird is stressed by something else, it is more susceptible to sickness or death. Many of the poisons don't do immediate damage but have long term effects unless they are eaten in huge amounts. Most people would never realize that the earlier poisoning contributed to the ultimate problem.

I don't think its quite like black walnut and horses. Some horses are allergic to black walnuts. Some are not bothered at all. In my limited understanding, I believe all chickens are subject to poisoning by solanine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by