feeding chickens scrap meat

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mikeyp, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mikeyp

mikeyp New Egg

Hey guys, new to your group. On my farm I also raise cattle,hogs, and other assorted critters. My question is. During slaughter season I end up throwing away several hundred pounds of fresh meat trimmings like the fat, skin, liver etc. Can I run this stuff through my grinder and then freeze and feed to my chickens this winter. Thanks a bunch, havent raised chickens for a long time.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! Don't know the answer to your ?, but sure someone will have one for you! [​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:So long as you do not give them more than they can clean up in ten minutes or so this will be fine. At one time it was quite common to feed meat scrap. Liver in particular is very good for them.

.....Alan.

6. forestkingvizslas

forestkingvizslas Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Welcome from Massachusetts! As another option for your meat scraps...You might be quite surprised at how many people would be interested in your scraps that feed a raw diet to their dogs! Many people would actually pay YOU for some of it! Just something to think about!

7. Jodistur

Jodistur Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Welcome!! I know lots of people who are into a new RAW movement where they are making their own pet food using raw products. Don't know much more than that, but it might be something to look into and could be way more valuable than the price of chicken feed...

We look forward to hearing more about your decisions!!

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    We are thinking about farming catfish in a small way, just for the freezer and us, but I assumed if I fed my chickens fish bits, i'd have fishy eggs.
    I'm not a big liver lover...liver flavored eggs?[​IMG]
    Or maybe protien is protien.[​IMG]
    Welcome to this most informative and utterly friendly site![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by