Feeding Chickens that laying eggs fruit??????????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by big red chicken, Apr 13, 2009.

1. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I received a brocher on odering chicken from Ohio today. In the front of the book it tell you diffrent things to do and not to do for your chick or chickens. Well one of the things they talk about is feeding your chicken that lay eggs fruit. It will stop them from laying eggs is that true?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some say yay and some say neigh but I have seen it happen. It has happened to more than one BYC member who fed hens a lot of fruits.

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    We feed ours Watermelon,pears,apples off our property and I have never had a problem.Just don't make it there main diet.It's a treat so in moderation.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think anytime you go overboard with supplements to their feed you can have a decrease in laying.
    I feed my hens fruit with no decrease in laying noted, but I'm talking one banana, a small clump of grapes or maybe three figs split between 15 chickens.

5. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    So giving them too much is the problem???????? Or some say 1 apple can do it. Mine are not laying eggs yet so should I stop or continue

6. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    sorry it's 14 chickens @ 12weeks

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    How old are your hens? Could be different reasons (molting,stress,disease,diet....) Giving them an apple a day would not cause them to suddenly stop laying.Just my experience and opinion though.

8. kycrawler

kycrawler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Crawfordsville , IN
    we have about 500 free range layers and i feed them truck loads of watermelons tomatos and pumpkins during the summer and fall never hurt the hens but it wure will make hogs fat in a hurry

9. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    I ive my chickens all kinds on fruits and/or rinds and have never seen any shortages of eggs, my 11 layers keep myself and inlaws and a neighbor with plenty of eggs!!!!

10. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I give mine apple cores and melon in the summers and squash and pumpkins in the winter and have never seen a decrease in egg production but i cant say it wont happen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by