Feeding Chickens that laying eggs fruit??????????

big red chicken

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Greenville NC
I received a brocher on odering chicken from Ohio today. In the front of the book it tell you diffrent things to do and not to do for your chick or chickens. Well one of the things they talk about is feeding your chicken that lay eggs fruit. It will stop them from laying eggs is that true?

Some say yay and some say neigh but I have seen it happen. It has happened to more than one BYC member who fed hens a lot of fruits.

We feed ours Watermelon,pears,apples off our property and I have never had a problem.Just don't make it there main diet.It's a treat so in moderation.

Last edited:
I think anytime you go overboard with supplements to their feed you can have a decrease in laying.
I feed my hens fruit with no decrease in laying noted, but I'm talking one banana, a small clump of grapes or maybe three figs split between 15 chickens.

How old are your hens? Could be different reasons (molting,stress,disease,diet....) Giving them an apple a day would not cause them to suddenly stop laying.Just my experience and opinion though.

we have about 500 free range layers and i feed them truck loads of watermelons tomatos and pumpkins during the summer and fall never hurt the hens but it wure will make hogs fat in a hurry

I ive my chickens all kinds on fruits and/or rinds and have never seen any shortages of eggs, my 11 layers keep myself and inlaws and a neighbor with plenty of eggs!!!!

I give mine apple cores and melon in the summers and squash and pumpkins in the winter and have never seen a decrease in egg production but i cant say it wont happen

Back
Top Bottom