Feeding chickens veggies

I don't cut anything except incidentally because I was giving them trimmings.

I almost never give the chickens anything except trimmings because I don't buy people food for livestock.

Now and then an over-grown zucchini or a cabbage that got wilted in the back of the crisper drawer before I made coleslaw from it.

Mine get trimmings, whole zucchini and in summer watermelon. I do cut open the watermelon and cut it into slices for them. I don't like watermelon myself but on really hot days it's a great treat for them.

When I worked at the produce stand while I had my in-town flock I would bring home the old watermelon that were going grainy. I'd throw it forcefully into the run so that it would crack open and they did the rest.

This flock has to content themselves with the rinds once we're done with the slices. :D

When I worked at the produce stand while I had my in-town flock I would bring home the old watermelon that were going grainy. I'd throw it forcefully into the run so that it would crack open and they did the rest.

This flock has to content themselves with the rinds once we're done with the slices. :D

With several "twitchy" birds in my flock they would freak. 🙄

I have to admit that I do buy produce for my birds -- because all of my critters are spoiled. I cut watermelon into slices that can be thrown around the yard. That way, there are options for the braver and more shy among the chickens, ducks and geese.

Everyone loves grapes, and will, grudgingly, eat cucumbers when no fruit is offered. Geese like tiny pieces of cut-up carrots, but the chickens have no interest.

Some days, everyone likes cabbage leaves; some days, they just glare at me as I offer those. Same thing with frozen peas -- except that runner ducks will trample EVERYBODY to get those.

Back
Top Bottom