Feeding Chickens Without Typical Commercial Feed

MtAsadi

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I recently bought 5 bantam x LF hens for laying purposes. I do not want to feed the commercially prepped pellets/crumbles so this is my feeding plan so far-
Scratch grains or mix of BOSS, Oats, Barley, Corn(minimal)
Lacto-fermented millet/seeds
Meat- Entirely organ meat such as heart and liver
Free Choice trace mineral/salt
Free Choice grit
Free Choice oyster shell
Veggie scraps etc from the kitchen.
Free range for 12ish hours when the weather gets better.

Thoughts are appreciated, Thank you!

Sounds good to me. The commercially available feeds are designed to feed chickens essential nutrients. Not all people desire to feed their chicks such. It is the most economical way to raise chicks for meat or egg production. Long ago peeps didn't have such and their chicks lived. How about in the land before time when chicks were wild???? I give mine a mix of scratch and provide them with the corporate stuff as well. They eat that stuff last. I purchase wild bird seed and give it in lieu of scratch .. They eat it well. They live long lives. Last one that went to the other side lived 13 years. So its not like feeding your children HOSTESS TWINKIES only. I provide grit and oyster shell on the side so they consume at will. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
OH AND
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you! I have read so many things that make it sound impossible, it is good to know I'm not going to kill them. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom