Feeding chickens yogurt

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by popoki, Oct 19, 2009.

1. popoki

popoki New Egg

Oct 19, 2009
    Is yogurt good for chickens? How does it benefit them?

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    calcium and good bacteria for digestion

3. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    I give mine yogurt on a cookie sheet about once ever two weeks. Just the plain store brand about a pint size container for 27 birds. Sometimes I mix a little BOSS on top or cottage cheese - which they love - and watch the games begin. Beware - stand back as the stuff will fly!!!

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    My chickens love yogurt!!!! It is great for their digestion. Also [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  5. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I mix yogurt with their feed so it's like very thick oatmeal. That way they don't get all sticky and messy. They love it!

6. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    I wonder if I could try that trick for my Polish girls? They would love to eat yogurt but I have not been giving it to them much lately because their crests always get sooooo messy afterwards. I actually have to give them baths (after they have eaten yogurt). [​IMG]

7. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I just mix the yogurt in a small bowl with some dry feed like crumbles, whole oats, BOSS, oatmeal, scratch even cereal. Kinda like a big pile of mush. They eat it all and don't get it everywhere. The bowl is usually empty in minutes. I think it would work for cottage cheese too. [​IMG] They're always on the look out for that bowl in my hands!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. ahappybrood

ahappybrood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Middleboro
    My girls (5 RIR and 6 Barred...5 mos old) go crazy over yogurt and/or oatmeal. I cook extra oatmeal for the kids in the morning and the ladies get the extra and it is literally gone in a matter of minutes!!

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yogurt contains calcium for strong eggshells and beneficial becteria that aids digestion.

You can actually grow organic chicks on organic yogurt and organic whole grain, or "multi-grain" cereals.

10. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard that milk causes diarrhea in chickens. While we're on the topic, I've also heard that raw eggs cause diarrhea. Is this true? And if not, could I feed milk as a calcium supplement?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by