Feeding chickens yogurt

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AimsChickies, Sep 13, 2008.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Songster

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I've seen mention of feeding chicks yogurt. I was just wondering how you do it. Do you mix the yogurt with feed or just give it to them straight up?

2. kbarrett

kbarrett Songster

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I think my girls were about 2wks old the first time I fed them yogurt. I sprinkled some of their crumbles over it just to give them the idea it was edible. Now you have to quickly put the bowls down & get back unless you want to be trampled & splattered with flying yogurt [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Just put it out in flat bottomed heavy bowls or saucers t they don't tip em in all that ecstasy.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I just put a bowl of MissPrissy's homemade yogurt out, nothing adding, and the chickens all go nuts! I don't have to add anything to that yogurt. I've tried store bought yogurt with my chickens before and they hated it. Then I made some yogurt from MissPrissy's recipe and the LOVE it! I will give you a word of caution, however, when feeding yogurt to chickens. Carefully set the bowl down, call your girls and stand back! I mean WAY BACK! That yummy yogurt quickly becomes a yogurt slinging party! Especially if you have a rooster who decides to indulge. [​IMG]

5. ptowne

ptowne In the Brooder

Sep 13, 2008
    I add uncooked oatmeal to the yogurt. They love it.

6. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Songster

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    a actually have been making yogurt for myself for a while now! I love homemade yogurt! I cant wait to try this tomorrow! Thanks everyone!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm 10 Years

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have seen it mentioed in many post about feeding yogurt to their birds, but haven't tried it. Is there a post with MissPrissy's homemade yogurt recipe? I'd like to try it. [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I fed my girls some blueberry Yoplait this morning. I take a little tub of it and hook it to the fence and then I step back and watch the show. Goodness how they love it.

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
  10. chickenbike

chickenbike Songster

My gang LOVE yogurt mixed with cooked oatmeal!!! And yes........do stand back!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: