1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken Dave, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Chicken Dave

Chicken Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Does anyone know what I can feed my chickens besides layer mash that is cheaper?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    lots of things are cheaper but may not have all the nutrients needed...there are some recipes for amking your own feed if you have the ingredients available...free ranging helps but isn't always an option

3. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    If you have a local mill you can get 100 lb. bags of fresh ground hog mash or corn and mix it with the layer and scratch feed. Also anywhere that grounds corn mill will have mill that they can't sell for human consumption and thats cheap when you can find it.

4. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    If you are just looking for a supplement, you can give them cracked corn, which my chickens love and they sell scratch grains you can give them. Those are more like treats instead of something thats avalible to them all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by