Feeding chicks 18% layer feed?

GreenWillow

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 23, 2016
Franklin, WI
I have 14 blue laced wyandottes coming my way tomorrow, about a week old. This is my second flock yay! I went to the feed store and they didn't have chick starter, but they said the 18% protein layer feed would work just fine. I am not medicating my chicks, didn't medicate on my first flock and they were all fine. Is the 18% layer feed fine to feed week old chicks? I am a bit wary!

You're right to be wary, as well as doubting the expertise of feed store employees.

Layer feed has too much calcium for chicks. If they have no chick crumbles, you can make do with an all flock feed such as flock Raiser. You will just need to run it through a blender to make the particles small enough for chicks during their first week.

No!!! listen to azygous. No layer feed. Get a chick feed. Or if all else fails you can start them out on a meatbird feed until you can get chick feed. Wyandotte's are a dual purpose breed so they can be raised on meatbird feed. Best, Karen

The feed store may just be considering the 18 percent protein here. They spoke that is a good percent for Wyandotte's. But calcium level is too high , so calcium is a DQ. These heritage large fowl like Wyandotte's do better on a chick feed higher than 16 percent. Use Nutrena Naturewise chick or meatbird... Or Agway Meatbird brands both by Cargill. Skip dumor brand. Best, Karen

Last edited:
The feed store may just be considering the 18 percent protein here. They spoke that is a good percent for Wyandotte's. But calcium level is too high , so calcium is a DQ. These heritage large fowl like Wyandotte's do better on a chick feed higher than 16 percent. Use Nutrena Naturewise chick or meatbird... Or Agway Meatbird brands both by Cargill. Skip dumor brand. Best, Karen

I have to ask why skip dumor feed? I just bought my second bag and the birds seem to like it and according to the label it is as good as other feed but much more affordable. I don't want to harm my flock or my babies. I don't have any experience with this feed though. Until I had a bunch of babies come along I was feeding purina omega 3 layena feed. Now I offer oyster shell along with the dumor starter and grower feed. If this feed isn't any good please let me know. I really don't want to harm my birds.

Dumor makes a 20% unmedicated starter/grower that directly competes with Flock Raiser. I'm not sure what would be bad about that? And crumble is definitely small enough for week old Wyandottes.

FWIW, the local mill here didn't have any chick feed except their broiler type which contained both bacitracin and amprolium. I went down the road and bought elsewhere. I hope you have options.

Dumor makes a 20% unmedicated starter/grower that directly competes with Flock Raiser. I'm not sure what would be bad about that? And crumble is definitely small enough for week old Wyandottes.

FWIW, the local mill here didn't have any chick feed except their broiler type which contained both bacitracin and amprolium. I went down the road and bought elsewhere. I hope you have options.

Yes that exactly what I'm feeding my flock. Chicks and all but with oyster shell for the layers when they want it.

Many of us who've been around BYC for years have run across far too many stories of Dumor brand feed causing serious problems. Don't know what it is, quality problems or what, but we've heard enough horror stories associated with the brand to recommend people stay away from it.

Here's a comprehensive thread on the subject of feed brands. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70039/is-dumor-dumour-a-good-feed-brand You'll find some very interesting comments, for example, Dumor has on its list of ingredients - chicken feathers, Many comments on how bad Dumor makes poop smell. That's a real deal breaker for a lot of folks right there.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Many of us who've been around BYC for years have run across far too many stories of Dumor brand feed causing serious problems. Don't know what it is, quality problems or what, but we've heard enough horror stories associated with the brand to recommend people stay away from it.

Thank you. I will do a search and read about it.

Back
Top Bottom