Feeding chicks and adults together?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zaxby's2, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Well my chicks are getting old enough to be put with the adult birds, but the chicks can't have layers feed, as they're only around 12 weeks. I've heard that you can give your whole flock grower feed with oyster grit free choice, and the layers will get the calcium they need from the oyster grit, but the chicks won't mess with it and so it doesn't hurt them. Does this work? I'll probably put them all together in a week or two, when the layer feed runs out. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that there is too much hype about oyster shell and types of feed and different variables depending on if they free range or not. I'm not sure how much calcium it takes to do kidney damage to younger chix and not sure how people can prevent them from eating the oyster shell they put out for the big girls, and what about the roo's they just have to eat whatever.

I guess my point is that unless your hens are having problems with soft shells you don't need oyster shell or even layer feed and can feed them whatever you want as long as they're getting enough protein and vitamins.

3. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Everything here eats purina flockraiser the cats the dog my horse the quail the skunks my husbands racing pigeons oh yes the chickens little and big ! [​IMG]

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Oh okay, I guess it's not too big of a deal, I'll just go with grower feed and oyster grit then. I let my chickens free range for most of the day, so they probably get what they need doing that anyway. [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a mixed flock, 3 roos (that I know of) 13 20 week olds, and 3 10 week olds...

I still feed starter/grower, with crushed egg shell or oyster shell on the side, the girls that need the extra calcium, eat it...those
    that don't ignore it. The littler ones don't bother with it, nor do the roos.

When the younger girls reach POL, I will switch them all to Layer Feed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by