Feeding chicks and Mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I have 6 baby chicks (1 week old) and the mother in a run about 3ft X 7ft. I have been feeding them all starter feed. I don't know how much to feed them and her. How much food do I feed them and how often? Do I need to feed the hen something else. I have just been scattering it on the ground. Our hen was free ranged with our rooster and we never fed them. They go to the barn and eat cracked corn and chicken feed. I am lost in knowing how to take of them but very excited in learning. I love to just sit and watch her and the chicks. Amazing how something so small knows how to scratch for food. LOL.
    Need advice on feeding. Please !!
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm fairly new to chickens in the last year, but read the forum constantly for advice. I think getting a bag of purina flock raiser is good for everyboday including layers, roosters, and babies. It has 20% protein just like chick starter. Or your mama hen can eat chick starter with the babies until they are 20 weeks old. Just put a little crushed oyster shell out for mama to get her extra calcium (the babies shouldn't eat it and don't need it.)

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Personally I would go get medicated chick starter. The hen will eat it too and throw down some added oyster shells for a calcium supply for her. If she is not laying then non needed.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's a personal choice whether to medicate but free ranging birds don't really need medicated feed because they don't come into contact with enough of the parasite. Medicated is only for cocciodosis. Caged and free range birds rarely get coccidia.
    Birds confined on bedding are most susceptible. If they're confined on bedding, keeping the bedding dry and feeders at least half full is the best preventative measure.

As said before, best to feed a grower ration and provide oyster shell to the hen in a separate container.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I would carry on with a medicated starter feed for mom and babies. I kept Mom on the starter feed with her two chicks until the chicks were a month old and I always kept the container full. I also used to put a mashed hard boiled egg down a day for mom and chicks, wanted to get the extra protein down mom especially after sitting on those eggs for 21 days! After the chicks were two weeks, I'd pick grass and dandelion leaves for all three

6. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:I switched to flock raiser a week ago and all my birds love it. My chicks turned 6 weeks old 2 days ago and I would have started it sooner had I known it existed (thanks BYC and all it's info!) I keep a side dish of oyster shell for my hens too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by