Feeding chicks DuMOR 24% Starter Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dazluv1977, Jun 28, 2017.

1. dazluv1977

dazluv1977 In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2017
    Adams, Tennessee
    I am new to BYC and when I bought supplies for my day old chicks (got it before they arrived so I was prepared) I purchased DuMOR Poultry 24% Starter Feed. I thought I had read the back of the bag correctly but realized tonight that I didn't. This feed is recommended for game birds such as turkey and quail. I have been feeding this to the chicks for two weeks now. How bad is it for them? Do I need to stop feeding it to them right away or will it be alright to continue with this feed considering I still have half a bag left. Apparently, the recommended feed for chicks is the 20% starter.
    on another note...I was going to start added grit to their diet now that they are two weeks old. Is that alright or do I need to wait?

2. dazluv1977

Jun 23, 2017
    Adams, Tennessee
    I just had a thought...should I purchase a bag of the 20% and give the chicks a mix of the two?
    This is the product info for the 24%:
    This high protein DuMOR Chick Starter 24% Feed is a complete crumble formula for starting turkey and game bird chicks such as quail, pheasant and chukar, which have very high nutritional requirements early in life. Premium nutrition during this early stage of life will support strong skeletal growth, proper muscle development, beautiful feathering and will get birds off to a healthy start.

• 24% protein rich in essential amino acids
    • Easily eaten even by tiny quail chicks
    Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (min.) 24.00%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.50%, Lysine (min.) 1.35%, Methionine (min.) .50%, Crude Fiber (max.) 4.50%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) 1.00%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.50%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) .80%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.
    Feeding Instructions:
    Feed free-choice as the sole ration to turkey, quail, pheasant and chukar chicks from 0 to 6 weeks of age. After 6 weeks, gradually transition birds to DuMOR chick Starter/Grower 20%.

And this is the 20%:
    This DuMOR Chick Starter/Grower 20% Feed is a complete formula for starting chicks, ducks, and geese up to 10 weeks of age and for growing turkeys and gamebirds from 6 weeks to market or laying age. Premium nutrition at the correct life-stage results in strong healthy, productive birds with beautiful plumage.

• Designed for chickens, ducks and geese from 0 to 10 weeks of age
    • Designed for turkeys, quail, pheasant and chukar from 6 to 12 weeks of age
    • Provides essential nutrients for optimum development
    • Additional vitamins and minerals are not required

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (min.) 20.00%, Lysine (min.) 1.00%, Methionine (min.) .50%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.50%, Crude Fiber (max.) 4.50%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) .70%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.20%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) .65%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

Feeding Instructions
    Provide feed free-choice to birds. Always provide fresh, clean water and transition birds from one feed to the next over the course of several days.
    Chickens, ducks, geese - 0 to 10 weeks
    Turkeys, quail, pheasant, chukar - 6 to 10 weeks

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    What breed of chickens do you have? if you have dual purpose Heritage chickens (an older breed ...breed created before 1952...which can be used for both eggs or meat) you can raise them just fine on the 24%. in fact some show people prefer it.
    if you have a straight egg-laying hen like a Leghorn.. a bird whose only purpose is to lay eggs, then you probably want to back them down to the 20%.
    best ,
    Karen

4. I'd mix a 18% protein feed with the 24% at a one to one ratio. That would bring you to roughly 20% protein. Although what 3rivers said may apply.

5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I bought the same feed before I got my chicks, along with all the things I needed for the Golden Comet chicks.
    I knew what I was buying. I figured the more protein the better. When I got home, I did some research and changed my mind.
    Too much protein and muscle development can outpace bone growth.
    So I returned it before I opened it.
    If I was in your shoes, I would mix it 50/50 with Dumor 15% grower. GC

dazluv1977 likes this.
  6. tinakevin

tinakevin Songster

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Because I was raising meatbirds and chicks at the same time I gave them all the 24% and they r fine. Use up the bag and then go to the 20 after. Don't sweat it. One bag will not hurt them.

dazluv1977 and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    X2. They are also at the age when you start introducing vegetable and fruit treats that are naturally very low in protein which will bring down the overall protein content. You do not need to add grit while they are on an all prepared commercial feed. When you add treats or whole grains then you should add grit or outdoor time where they will naturally pick up sand and small pebbles.

dazluv1977 and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  8. barn206

barn206 Songster

May 4, 2017
    Upstate ny
    I made the same mistake giving them 24% . I gave it to them for the first 4 weeks ( rir,bo del etc) . The chicks were born in May. After 4 weeks it was still cold and I transferred them in the garage. The chicks felt solid. That's a good thing. I introduced cracked corn and grit. Huge difference adding corn especially in the cold. I just switched to 18% giving them that all day and fresh water. At night I give them corn til there crops are full then I take the feed away. They still have the 18% starter pellets. This week I let them out of the coop. 2x a day and I sit with them for an hour or 2 with a cup of coffee. The birds go right in when I want them to. I walk them into the coop with a whistle and a long bamboo pole. So far so good! Poop is fine and they look amazing

stuckinthecity likes this.
  9. dazluv1977

Jun 23, 2017
    Adams, Tennessee
    Thank you for your feedback. I have egg layers... I went ahead and got a bag of the 20% and mixed the two together. I did a 2 to 1 ratio.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    Do yourself a favor 1977 ,switch from Dumar to Naturewise chick crumbles made by Cargill. I think you'll find your chicks grow out and do better adults.
    Best,
    Karen and the light Sussex in Western Pennsylvania

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: