Feeding chicks earthworms

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Frosty, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I see a lot of posts from folks feeding chicks earthworms... I just wanted to mention that earthworms CAN carry eggs from roundworms and other parasites. Roundworms do more damage to chicks than they do to adults. I realize that adult chickens will likely find an earthworm here and there, but I really would think twice about giving them to your chicks.

2. Flyman39

Flyman39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    + 1 on that Frosty.

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I posted yesterday about feeding my chicks worms. It was a riot! [​IMG]

That being said, I also feed my chicks diatomaceous earth regularly which takes care of any roundworms they may have (or lice and mites because I also mix it with their bedding). That stuff is great!!

Chicks can also get roundworms from just being out on soil and since my chicks will be out in their tractor as soon as they are old enough or if it ever warms up, I've decided to take a pro-active approach to parasites right from the start. [​IMG]

Thanks for the info!

4. hillbillygreen

hillbillygreen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Central Illinois
    Hi! Newbie here:

Can I start using DE on them already? I just ordered some and it should be in soon... because I did feed mine worms last week!

I need to see if my starter/grower is medicated... I don't remember seeing that.

5. Flyman39

Flyman39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    Hello Hillbillygreen. Where you from?? I defer to someone else on the Diatomacious Earth. I have never used it. I don't know much about it. Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by