Feeding chicks eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by monaname, Jun 27, 2011.

1. monaname

monaname Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    I've had two suggestions now to give my chicks some egg for extra protein...one suggested hard boiled egg, the other scrambled. It seems odd to me to be giving my chicks eggs. Won't this encourage them to have a taste for eggs? That would be tragic since I'm looking forward to eating their eggs myself...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    I felt the way you did at first, but actually it makes sense. It is what they have been eating before they hatched. I scramble but any way is fine provided your break it up into tiny bits. Its a great first food. And good way to teach them to eat out of your hand.

And since they do not know it comes from that thing they lay, mine dont know. I dont give them egg after they are older so mine have forgotten.

3. monaname

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    Quote:That's comforting! Thank you very much.

4. Susan Mc

Susan Mc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    There's no problem feeding eggs to any age chicken, as long as it doesn't resemble an egg. So if you hard-boil it, then mash it or cut it up.
    I hard-boil mine mainly because it makes less mess. [​IMG]
    And it's a fantastic food for chicks, especially if you run out of chick crumb! [​IMG]

5. farmerwomanwannabe

farmerwomanwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Maryland
    I have been giving mine the egg yolk of a hardboiled egg as a daily treat and they love it! I havent really bothered with the white, since the yolk is just really easy to crumble up, and the dogs have gotten used to getting the white part!

6. monaname

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    Quote:I think that I'll give it a try.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I once read a post on here by a long time chicken keeper, I don't remember who, that said he routinely throws any very poopy or otherwise bad egg on the ground for the chickens to eat, and has never had a problem with egg eaters. Neither have I, though now and then an egg has gotten broken in a nest and they immediately eat it.

I scramble the ones I give them, anyway. Another method is to hard boil them, then break up the cooked eggs, shell and all, in a blender or food processor. I would only do this with laying hens, though, not chicks.

8. monaname

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    Quote:I like the idea of the yoke of a hard boiled egg. Seems cleaner to deal with.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I hard boil the eggs and will boil an extra one for myself. [​IMG]. Pretty soon I'll be able to feed them their own eggs. I'm assuming it will cut back on feed costs if done regularly. My chicks love eggs, but not everyday. They get HB eggs 2-3 times a week. They won't eat them cold either. Only warm fresh boiled.lol

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ditto

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by