feeding chicks/hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mystang89, Sep 22, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Ok so I'm going to be putting my chicks in the coop with the other hens now as it seems to be working out. My question is this. How do you keep the starter feed, which I want the chicks to still be on, out of reach of the hens which are laying and on layer pellets?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    probably wont be able to. how old are your chicks? can they eat the pellets yet?

3. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I don't know if they can eat pellets or not. I'd personally rather they didn't. They are 3 weeks and still have a bit of growing to do. For now I've put a cardboard box over top their food and cut a small opening in it so they can get in and the others can't. Seems to be working so far.....until it rains tomorrow lol.

4. chickenquilter

chickenquilter New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    I just put my almost 4 weeks old chicks out in the coop with my other two - almost 6 mos buff Orpington and black Silkie. I put a piece of fence in to keep them seperated and so keep the food and water seperated too. This also has kept the very protective Oprington (Alice) from pecking the crap outta the babies. After two days now she seems to be a little calmer. Hope this gives you ideas....
    Diana

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I would be more worried about them getting pecked to death by the older hens than the feed. Chickens can be brutal.

You can also use "flock raiser" or similar feed that is fine for all ages. Just put out extra calcium for the layers.

6. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Flock raiser for all and supply shell for the egg layers. The ones who are laying will eat the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by