Feeding chicks scraps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rrector2005, Feb 17, 2015.

1. rrector2005

rrector2005 New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Hello everyone, my Barred Rocks are now 6 weeks(ish). I was wondering if I can feed them leftover greens and such? Also, if they can have scraps, what are do's and don'ts for thier age?
    Thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You can try giving them scraps but don't be surprised if they don't seem too enthused at this age. Chicks raised by a broody hen have her to tell them what is good. Chicks raised in a brooder don't, and their natural suspicion that it is all poisonous usually prevents them trying things. If you can get one braver soul to try it, the rest will probably dive in, but usually they circle it, chattering to each other nervously.

The best thing to start them on is scrambled egg - usually they will try that and once they discover it is yummy, it will be a free-for-all.

As for what to feed them, I know a lot of people have a long list of do's and don'ts. I will let them try anything because if they try it and don't like it, they will ignore it. They typically don't care much for raw onion, citrus and celery. Some other things will get more attention if they are cut up into a size they can handle. For example, when I use leafy greens like chard and kale in cooking, if I throw out the stems, they will be ignored. But if I dice them up into manageable sized pieces they will be gone in no time flat.

3. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    MINE LOVE CELERY!! LOL!! I will just sit in a chair and hold out a stalk and they devour it in no time.

I've also never had any trouble with getting chicks of 6 weeks to try new food. They main thing is to make sure that if they eat something other than chick feed is to give them plenty of grit to help them digest.

4. AuburnJavas

AuburnJavas Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    I thought they loved everything...!!!
    Best darn garbage disposals ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by