1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding chicks worms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by phillyfan95, Nov 14, 2011.

1. phillyfan95

phillyfan95 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    Hi i have some week old chicks and i foung some red worms in my backyard. i just wanted to make sure it was ok to feed it to them for a treat at this age.

2. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    We just fed our week olds 3 worms and a cricket. They really enjoyed the treat. Outside in nature momma chicken would show them the insects and they eat them.

3. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Its fine just make sure to have some grit available to them.

4. phillyfan95

phillyfan95 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    thanks you said about grit. should you start fedding them grit this young? im new at this so any help is appreciated

5. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Earth worms can carry parasites (worms) that affect chickens. I would do more research on this before feeding them deliberately.

6. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    If you are going to feed "treats" they will need grit. As too the parasites statement that may be true.... but chick starter has meds for cocci and I cant think of any other parasite that would be a prob.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Earth worms are a natural food, won't hurt the chicks as long as they have access to grit (fine sand will do nicely, even the dirt still on the worms)

I've fed earth worms to chicks as young as four or five days old with no ill effects. And as for parasites, I've been doing this for years, and none of my chickens have ever had intestinal worms. At all, ever.

There's nothing more entertaining than watching tiny chicks play 'keep away" with a wriggly worm! Good times!

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    They're fine to eat worms. Ours started early. A spade plus a large block of soil and they'd be occupied for hours as we broke it up.
    The crickets, locusts, earwigs and other such cringe-worthy insects are also a hit. We get a lot around here, guess where they all go. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by