feeding chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BirchHatchery, Aug 22, 2010.

1. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    if i buy 100 leghorn chicks can i feed them layer feed from day one till the time i sell them just wondering cuz layer feed is cheapier than meat feed or flock raiser and cheapier than chick starter?

2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    I heard it isn't good to give chicks layer feed, because it has something in it that's bad for their growth.

3. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Too much calcium.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Their kidneys cannot process the calcium levels in the laying feed-they will harden up ( calcification) and the kidneys will malfunction because of it-not good at all...

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    are you buying the leghorn chicks to eat or for eggs? since this is the meat bird thread I will assume you want to eat them. With that in mind, leghorns are SKINNY BUTT chickens and I don't think it's going to matter too much what you feed them. But if that's what you want (and a lot of people do), and your just looking at cost I would feed one sack of starter, then cracked corn and free range for your cheapest avenue. Others may have a heart attack that i said that, but you asked for cheap and at least the corn might put some fat on them to add to the soup.
    As far as I know what sonew said about the layer feed is correct, HOWEVER; If you want to feed layer feed go for it, their kidneys are going to last far longer than their butcher date.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:true very true-never thought about it only being 8-10 weeks. I just figured since they matured fast it would also mean speeding up problem they could have too? At that point though it butchering age so your right I guess it wouldnt matter... [​IMG] my layer food is 3$ more a bag so I wouldnt have thought of that. Actually this being my first time doing meaties I just followed the guideline that miss meaty queen Katy set out and am sticking to it for maximum benefits:)

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol knock it off [​IMG]

actually if he eats LH roos at 8 or ten week he may as well just eat chicks! [​IMG]
    I am guessing they would have to go at least 20 week to have any meat at all, but I still don't think that is long enough to cause kidney damage from a little extra calcium.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    when are you going to change your name to whizbanger? and stop hijacking this poor guys thread! [​IMG]

10. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    actuly what i want to do with them is get batches of 100 or so pullet chicks and raise and sell them from day one to ready to lay pullets ive done it in the past and rarly have to keep pullets past 10 weeks i normally sell out of them by then. when i did this a year or so ago i fed them layer feed but the layer feed was from a grainery were they mixed their own feed and they did good on that feed i always started them on chick started tho. BUt now i cant get to the grainery to get feed so im stuck buying bags of layer feed from Rural King thats why i ask i didnlt no if i wuld see death loss because of the store bought feed most people that buy em from me i tell to put em on a started/grower feed untile 17 weeks. Its just the layer feed is cheapier and i have barn septups i dont let them free range. any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by