feeding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ticks, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Hey, I bought some food yesterday from TSC it is 24% starter. It says it is good for quail, chuckar, pheasant, turkey. But no where on it does it say chicken chicks will it work.

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Is it the smallest bag they have? Like 3 pounds or something. I think in a yellow bag? If so, that is what I use. It was what they told me, and have not had any probs so far. (they are now 4 wks old)
    Steph

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    no the bag is like 50 lbs

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    TSC definitely carries normal chick starter.
    24% is really high protein. Maybe fine, but regular chicken chick starter is normally 16%, sometimes 20%.
    I am sure someone will chime in, but I'm also pretty sure if you bring it back (unopened) they'll exchange it for the normal chick starter.

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    it says chick starter

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Regular chick starter is from 18% for combination starter/grower to about 21% for plain starter. You got gamebird/turkey starter, most likely, but at 24%, it isn't bad. Some gamebird starters are up to 30% and you should never feed chicken chicks that high protein level. 24% isn't too bad, though, although still a tad high for them. If it was me, I'd go ahead and use it. Some may disagree.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by