feeding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 99TJ, Mar 27, 2011.

1. 99TJ

99TJ New Egg

Mar 21, 2011
    So we got our Bared Rock chick last wednesday 12 of them. They all look perfect not a runt in the bunch so far. We are using a large 100gal rubber made water trough for a brooder working great so far.

Only question I have is the chicks have a mound of food around the feeder in the shavings, is this normal for them to be waistfull. So should the feeder be kept full and not worry about the stuff around it?

Have to keep moving forword on the coop and run before I know it they will be ready for it.

Thanks

Gary

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Make sure you keep the feeder as high as their backs. Raising it up as they grow. Helps with the wasting.....

[​IMG]

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have a series of bricks ranging in height that I sit the feeder/waterers on. This is also the case with adult birds, if it is at back level they cant get the feet in there.

4. Bach

Bach New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    Quote:Thanks, I've been trying to figure out what to do with my feeder, since the gals seem to delight in tossing it around

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Quote:I have a series of bricks ranging in height that I sit the feeder/waterers on. This is also the case with adult birds, if it is at back level they cant get the feet in there.

Until they learn to jump/ fly on top of it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by