1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by philandolivia, Jun 10, 2011.

1. philandolivia

philandolivia Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Co. Durham, UK
    hi
    I have 5 week old chicks what age can they start eating norm layers pellets like there mam's and dad?

Phil

2. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    I'd say, as soon as they're ready to start laying...somewhere around 5 months.

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    I actually give mine a "mix" after 6 weeks. I mix half pellets and half medicated chick started in the same feeder. That way THEY can decide how big of pieces they want to eat. At hatch I give mine ground Medicated Starter ground in a coffee grinder very fine for the first week, then grind the next lot a little bigger and so on until the 7th week.

One disclaimer: I do not do this with my Serama's, I only do it with bigger breads of chickens like my Houdan's and Creame Brabanters and my two Heinz 57 birds.

Good Luck with your birds.

Dr. CatDaddyAlbert

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    When I have a mix of birds, I switch to "flock pellets" and give free choice oyster shell. Too much calcium can be a problem for little girls, but the big girls need it. The little girls don't touch the oyster shell but the big girls know instinctively that they need more. Once my little ones start laying, everyone goes on layer pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by