Feeding Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Michaelshady, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Michaelshady

Michaelshady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Can anyone please tell me, when too feed, how long after they've hatched, and what to feed them.

It would also be nice to know about certain brands that you have used and got the best responces with, and it would also be good to tell me about their diet's, and water.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

Albers or Purina medicated chick feed would work real good.

You may want to add vitamins like Vita Sol in the water.

You may consider a tub of sand with DE (diatomaceous earth) for them.

Leave all they can eat and drink.

Good luck with the new kids [​IMG]

3. Michaelshady

Michaelshady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Thank you so much! I'm really eager to get the chicks, i actually took over 9 pages of cornell notes off of this website!

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Look at the top and the section is Learning Center and you will find a lot to read good luck.

5. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    The first two days or so after hatching, they may not seem interested in any food or water, but they'll "snack." It's good for them to get acquainted in this way, rather than being unfed until day three and then there's a panic at the feed and water station. (This has just been my experience, others may have different opinions.) Technically, they don't NEED food and water until the third day, which is why day-old chicks can be 2-day shipped with not much loss.

I've always heard to use medicated starter for your first bag, and I'm very happy with the red bag of medicated chick starter offered by Purina. The crumbles are in various sizes, and it's easy to pinch hard with your fingers to make it even more crumbly for the little ones if you're trying to keep them hand-tamed. [​IMG]

2 of my chicks are 9 days old and are starting to roll on the toweled floor ... I'm thinking tomorrow it will be time to get them some sand so they can start dust bathing. I wouldn't worry about it right away, because they have so many other things to keep them occupied and it will probably just get pooped in. Wait, scratch the probably part. [​IMG]

I agree with Steve 100% ... water and feed available at all times. Good luck and have fun!

6. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    eem as soon as i put mine in the brooder i let them rest then tried to entice them to eat and drink by tapping my finger. I just feed them basic chick crumbs! [​IMG]

7. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Quote:ACK! The Cornell Method! Good work..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by