feeding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stephanie1992, Dec 14, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

how long do they need to be fed medicated chick feed? when can u let them eat adult feed.

2. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    i feed mine medicated starter feed untill they are 12 weeks of age. then i switch to unmedicated starter. they get organic layer pellets when they are between 16 and 18 weeks of age depending on maturity(egg laying).
    other people might handle it differently.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Adult feed is a bit confusing. Grower, Flock Raiser, All Flock etc can be fed to any chicken, at any age.

Layer is merely chicken feed, but, and this is important, is laced with lots of additional calcium. Calcium at that level is harmful to chicks and adolescents. Only laying hens need that much calcium and layer feed should only be fed to layers.

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have chicks that are getting to big to keep in the chick pen and i wanna move them into the adult pen but there still young. there 2 months old. all the adults are on lay mash. roos and hens.

5. Fred's Hens

Again, the entire flock can eat an All Flock, Flock Raiser, non-medicated chick feed or Raiser.

Feed them all the same thing and make your life easier. Just offer the hens some crushed calcium (re-cycled egg shells, oyster shells) on the side. The adolescents don't normally mess with the shells.

6. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Fred's Hens :

...layer feed should only be fed to layers.

All my birds - roosters, hens, and chicks if the momma brings them around it or if I have to save pennies - have eaten 'layer feed'. None of my non-laying birds have ever been harmed by this feed. Ever (that means in 25 years no problems). No third legs growing out of foreheads, no beaks the size of my boots, no combs growing on each wing, ad nausea.

To the OP - in my experience, layer feed is fine for the whole flock, though 'grower' feed is simply better for chicks through ~10 to 12 weeks as the extra protein helps them grow better and hold weight and gives them the energy they need. It hasn't hurt any of my birds through the years if the young ones did eat any of the layer feed.​

7. Fred's Hens

Quote:All my birds - roosters, hens, and chicks if the momma brings them around it or if I have to save pennies - have eaten 'layer feed'. None of my non-laying birds have ever been harmed by this feed. Ever (that means in 25 years no problems). No third legs growing out of foreheads, no beaks the size of my boots, no combs growing on each wing, ad nausea.

To the OP - in my experience, layer feed is fine for the whole flock, though 'grower' feed is simply better for chicks through ~10 to 12 weeks as the extra protein helps them grow better and hold weight and gives them the energy they need. It hasn't hurt any of my birds through the years if the young ones did eat any of the layer feed.

It is your flock, and you should do as you wish. I hardly think a "third leg growing out of foreheads, or boot sized beaks, or combs growing on wings, ad nausea" would be the likely result and certainly not if the ingestion is occasional.

That said, the science against the feeding of 5-6% calcium layer to developing chicks and pullet before POL is over whelming. One can read it if one wishes to do so. One can apply it to one's husbandry if one wishes to do so. I choose not to. Have a nice day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by