Feeding Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickaren, Mar 4, 2012.

1. chickaren

chickaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    Hello everyone. I am new to the site and new to raising chicks. I have just picked up 2 chicks that will be 6 weeks old this coming Tuesday. I am wondering how long I should feed them the medicated chick starter. Also, when they are ready for pellets, etc..., do I slowly transition them or just start feeding it to them? Thanks for all advice.

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]
    I keep them on chick feed to about 18 weeks and then mix it with the layer feed to transition them.
    What kind of chicks did you get?

My DH is such an enabler. He says no more chicks then he gets me 5 and today 3 more.
    I also have 3 on reserve.
    [​IMG]
    I have more than doubled my backyard flock.

3. chickaren

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    I have two Feather Footed Bantams, not quite sure what breed exactly. Looking like Belgian D'uccles. I will have to post pics. Also, I think that one is a roo, even though breeder stated both are pullets.

4. chickaren

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    Here they are:

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    They're beautiful! The one on the top looks like my australorps did when they were babies, I don't know if they come in bantam size though.

6. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Looks like cute pullets to me. But then [​IMG].

7. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

We fed the Chick Started ( Medicated ) for the first 6 weeks then switched to Grower then to Layer Pellets at week 18.
    I think I read that you don't want to start them on the Layer ration until right before they are 'gearing up' to begin laying as it contains additional calcium and other minerals that help with egg production but can damage their kidneys prior to that time in their development.

8. chickaren

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    I heard that about the layer pellets too after doing some additional research. So since they are about 6 weeks old, I will then switch to grower? I don't have much of the medicated. I would just finish it up and then buy grower, no need for medicated? I will not give and layer until they are ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by