Feeding chicks

abbyok

In the Brooder
May 3, 2015
I have 6 week old chicks. They are in a coop within an enclosed and covered run but I let them free range as long as I'm with them. So far I have been keeping food inside the coop and the run. But I'm wondering if it's necessary. I let them out into the run every morning at 6:30 (I'm trying to find an automatic coop door to fit my opening) and they always run straight to the water - but I had read no water in coop. So I don't want to take their food if they need it - but I want to set up a grandpa feeder in the run eventually. So I guess my question is can I stop feeding them in the coop or do they still need it?

Water should be available at all times. Feed does not need to be available inside the coop, as long as you don't put them in the coop too early in the evening. Generally chicks that age do just fine without feed for up to 12 hours.

Ohhhhh. Oops so water should be in coop?!?! Yikes! Will do that tonite!!!!! Now I feel bad!

Mine doesn't have food or water in coop. They put themselves to bed, and I lock up around 9 pm. They get let out around 6:30. They will be fine for such a short time. I would only worry if you see a lot of panting showing they are overheated.

We have water in the run & coop, food in coop only.

Have you looked at an add-a-motor for your pop door? You can use your existing door (as long as it's under 5 lbs) and just add the motor and a lamp timer. We bought ours, the AD20, online from DHA << discounthomeautomation.com>> It was $88.

Several people on the forum has these, do a search and you'll find installing tips. There are some on Youtube as well. Our's works great.

Back
Top Bottom