1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding chooks kitchen scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenman2, Mar 23, 2009.

1. chickenman2

chickenman2 New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    wagga wagga- australia
    Do you feed your chooks kitchen scraps (veg peels lettice etc)is there anything you should not feed them?

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    oh i give mine nice treats all the time.

old lettuce, peas (canned, frozen AND fresh), bread, old bagels, carrots, tomatoes, celery (chopped), dried fruits such as blueberries & cranberries, corn, fish scraps (boiled), meat scraps (no beef), millet seeds, chamomile, broccoli.... i could go on and on.

no rice unless it is thoroughly cooked soaked and strained, i suggest rolled oats very few and very rarely. potatoes may not be a good idea. [​IMG]

3. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    I give mine everything too except meat!
    I also boil the potato skins with bran and give me them a wee bit of that!

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Ok, I have a Newbie Question, What is a Chook, is it a breed, or just a Chicken in general, or??????????

5. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:cooked meat is okay to give them, the only reason i don't give mine beef is because i myself don't eat beef. i prefer deer/moose/caribou.
    i didn't know potatoes were okay to give them! I'll start doing that now that i know. thank you!

6. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:just a word for chicken!

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Potatoe are toxic unless they are cooked I have been told. they are fine once cooked you can even feed dogs on boiled potato peel. Just another treat.

yes a chook is just an affectionate name for a chicken.

I give them just about everything, I boil rice for them without salt and I also cook spaghetti for them and they love it.

I give them all salad, seeds and lentils that are cooked. they also love bread. Hmmmm but I am careful not to give too much of anything.

they should not be given salted food. So I have been told anyway.
    lol... they love bread so much my mittens have been at risk all winter because they are white.... they fly for them thinking they are bread. lol...

8. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thanks Guys, I learn something new everyday on this site... I LOVE IT!!!! [​IMG]

9. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:XD thats so cute they attack your mittens! mine attack my shoe-laces (they are neon green) and my boyfriend. the LOVE him, probably because he's the one i always send out to feed/water them. yet i am always the bringer of the treats [​IMG]

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    avocado pip, avoid it, almost anything else is fine, most chickens knows what to eat and what not, mine never touch the raw potato peelings and onion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by