Feeding Corn for Winter Warmth

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yogifink, Oct 28, 2013.

1. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I have read on the BYC forum that you can feed your chooks some corn in the evening to help keep them a bit warmer at night by generating some internal heat. I am curious about this and would like to learn a bit more, can anyone give me some information on this? Why would this work, something to do with the corn digesting? How much of a ration should I be giving to provide warmth, but not effect the health of the chicken or laying?

I picked up a bag of basic crushed corn this weekend, and my girls really aren’t too stoked about it. I figured there would be a feeding frenzy - but, it was more like a meh,what the heck is this, where’s my sunflower seeds (their morning treat)!! Spoiled chickens. I assume feeding a bit of corn is pretty basic, but is there a specific type, for example crushed or whole, that they prefer?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cracked is better but it must be fresh. In NC I can't imagine it will be cold enough to worry about it.
    Corn has energy but low in protein and vitamins. I'd hold off till your coldest days and give a handful before bedtime. They'll get used to it.
    I use wheat in winter instead since corn is GMO.
    Thanks for that Mon Santa.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Well fed chickens will generate the correct amount of heat with or without corn.
    Lots of things get repeated, even if there's little actual evidence to support the theories

4. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by