Feeding corn in winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hefalumpmom, Nov 11, 2012.

1. hefalumpmom

hefalumpmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    I read somewhere that mixing cracked corn in chicken (and duck) feed was a way to help them keep warm in the winter because corn causes body heat generation. I have been adding it to their feed at a ratio of about 2 parts layer crumbles to 1 part cracked corn on cold days. Does it really do them any good, or is it just a treat for them?

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Corn will NOT magically heat up a chicken, that is an Old Wives Tale. The added calories will help them deal with the lower temperatures but not by heating them up.

1 person likes this.
  3. hefalumpmom

hefalumpmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    So it's just a calories thing? They do seem to like it, so as long as there is no harm. By the same token, it is then ok to give them corn in the summer then?

Thank you for clearing up the wives' tale!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I don't know about your feed, but our feed is corn based to start with. Probably 60-70% corn, with a Hubbard Chick eN Egg concentrate package. Simply adding more corn to our birds' diet isn't something particularly productive for us. Not sure what the end game would be.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by