Feeding Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by new2chickens2011, Oct 16, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hello,
    So I am a little confused on what to feed Cornish X's. (I am planning on getting some in a few weeks).

So, week 1-3 do you feed medicated starter? And I don't have any idea what your supposed to do for the other weeks.

Help!! [​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    It depends

Medicated starter is to prevent cocciodosis.

If you do not have a cocci issue, and can keep there enclosure clean and dry (major undertaking) non medicated starter grower for the full duration is the way I would go.

We hold things to 16-18% to keep the growth rate under control.

Good luck.

3. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    You do not have to give your birds medicated feed.. I do not feed my chicks medicated starter and haven't had a problem.. There are things you can do to boost their immune system like adding plane yogurt to their feed and mixing garlic in their feed... I personally do not like eating a bird that is pumped full of antibiotics and medications, that is the reason I raise my own meat birds.. It would be cheaper just to buy it in the store if that was the case.. People are going to give you different advice on this one and they will tell you that it doesn't get into the meat, that is hogwash. If you take an antibiotic for an infection on your skin then obviously it gets into your entire system.. Same with medicated feed.. JMHO.. I start my chicks on a 25% til week 3 then drop down to a 20% til process.. Hope this helps...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  4. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We got our first meat birds three weeks ago. Started them on 20% crumbles non-medicated no additives to the water plus they have access to good hay. That's all we've fed them or done for them and they are over 2 pounds already. We butchered our first two for cornish game hens yesterday and they dressed at 1 1/2 lbs. We never get too fussy with our birds as my mom's a retired vet. Clean bedding, high protein food, clean water, fresh air, and you're good to go.

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I feed 20% starter/grower (non-medicated) day 1 through the end. I don't change feeds. I usually feed Dumor, but found my local mill does a nice 20% grower crumble for a few dollars less. I just have to hustle to get there after work in time. If I can't get there and I run out, I'll pick a bag of Dumor up.

I've found I do like giving a couple days of Sav-a-chick in the water in the beginning - it's a cheap form of insurance. Do they need it? Maybe, maybe not. It's cheap - $2 to make 3 gallons of water's worth - and it doesn't hurt. After that, fresh water, clean living, and you're pretty much ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by