Feeding Coturnix Ground Beef?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by itsy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I don't know where I may have read it - and I searched the forums, but can I feed my coturnix ground beef? It's below freezing here every night now (was 18 last night). I gave them their first dry kitten food yesterday.

We happen to have some extra ground bison in the fridge. If so, can they eat it raw or is it smarter to cook it? I'm leaning towards cooking it, but figured I'd ask if they should even eat it first.

Thanks.

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    honestly, i have never heard of this before...i would think it would be ok, honestly i wouldn't tho...they love GBS, if you want to give them some extra fat for the winter i'd stick with dried mealworms, they have like 50% fat

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
  4. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Mibotsu - I have them on a 19% game bird starter, but I'm going to be upping them to a higher percentage. I'm not a big fan of dried mealworms. I raise live mealworms and dubia roaches, and I do give them as treats. Thanks for your advice!

Critter - I appreciate the link! Thank you.

I'm wondering if anyone else has opinions on the ground bison? I'm wondering if it would be harmful? We aren't going to be eating the rest (about a patty's worth) and I'd like for it not to go to waste.

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:live is even better, but honestly, with the bison i personally wouldn't, i'm sure it wouldn't hurt them, but i dunno, never heard of giving beef/bison to any type of bird

but it probably wouldn't hurt(they might not even touch it)

6. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hmm. Perhaps I'll give it to the chickens, then? According to the BYC treats chart, meat scraps that "aren't too fatty" are: In moderation, a good source of protein. This ground bison was pretty lean... just figured the quail would appreciate it more.

[​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Feed Them The Red Meat.... It Wont Hurt Them In Any Way And It's A Wonderful Source Of B12. Remember Quail Are Obligatory Insectavores... They're Supposed To Eat Live Stuff In Nature

8. weimanator

weimanator Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    VA
    feed my chickens a regular diet of excess beef from steers i butcher. havent had any problems and they love it and has added some fat to em. and the eggs dont taste any different

9. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Should I cook or can they eat it raw?

Thanks everyone!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:I believe cooking destroys certain enzymes that are beneficial. However, not all meat is safe enough to feed raw. It's up to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by