Feeding day olds, I got the wrong food!

sfisher

Songster
12 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Myrtle Beach
My peeps will be here tomorow, so I was getting the brooder ready. I opened the brown paper bag of feed that I got from me feed store, and found starter crumbs instead of mash!! So I figured I'd run it through the food processer. It wont grind up 100% I still have a few crumbs left.

Should I try to add some grit to the mixture?

I'll I have is some some sandbox sand, if I need grit could I use that?

I cant make it back to the feed store till next week.

Starter crumbles is what I use on ALL of my babies. I dont like the mash...because of the waste. They will be just fine....no need to puree it. Congrats on your new babies!!

My understanding is that it contains a bit a grit in the feed.

I feed mine the crumbles and don't use grit.
smile.png

Unless someone is labling something differently or I grew up being taught the wrong thing feed comes in crumbles and pellets. Mash is what you get when you add liquid - to make a warm feed 'mash'.

Do you mean you wanted pellets and got crumbles instead?

Commercial feed has grit in it. You don't need extra.

Problem with mash is that you have to clean it out and throw away left overs before it molds over whihc would be very bad.

If you have crumbles, no problems. That's all I use for baby chicks, even the little banties. They don't need grit if they are only eating their chick feed.

That food should be fine, I have bought it and put it in a bag and rolled it with the rolling pin.

Its the smaller breeds of chickens that have a hard time eating crumbles but in a week or two they they manage just fine

you don't need grit for newly hatched babies

I only use crumbles as it is much less waste than mash. It is still small enough for the tiny chicks but big enough to carry them through as tey get older. The chicks will soon eat all the larger fragments and leave the powder behind, i.e "the mash" portion. Actually, the sooner I can get them on a pellet the better. That is where you really save on the waste.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom