feeding days old chicks cayanne pepper?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by twigcrafter, Mar 10, 2017.

1. twigcrafter

twigcrafter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    I'm getting a cackle surprise box next week so I've been reading as many posts as I can about all kinds of things. I'm excited and nervous. [​IMG]

I seems that sometimes when you get a large batch all at once, some of the chicks might get over stressed during shipping or chilled.

I read on another thread that someone gives their shipped chicks cayenne pepper in with their food and they don't get pasty butt.

any thoughts from all you chick experts?

thanks!

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I have hear/read/used ACV, and I have never had a pasty butt.
    I do use cayenne in their feed but DID NOT when they were "newborns".

Have you heard/read anything about fermenting their first feed...actually all of their feed..including the very first feed they eat when you get them home?

*I have only read that cayenne MAY boost laying and may prevent certain types of worms..(i do not think newly hatched chick could possible have worms) and it may change the color of the yolk.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. twigcrafter

twigcrafter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    Thanks KiKisgirls,

I do put acv in my chicks and grown chickens water and During the summer I feed fermented food. Lately I'm just soaking scratch grains over night then give as a treat. I'm kinda lazy in the winter.

My feathered family members are spoiled brats. lol

I never did try fermented feed for their fist meal. I will definitely start some grains soaking soon so it will be ready. I did feed my last batch soaked grains when they were about a week old I think.

I was just wondering if anyone else has fed cayenne mixed with their starter crumbles. It make sense if they are chilled that it would warm them up, I'm worried it might burn their delicate insides.

4. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I didn't ferment grains for the babies...I fermented the crumbles.
    I don't think chickens can "taste" the heat in cayenne.

5. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I only ferment their feed , because if you do the grains they need grit. Not sure a day old chick should have anything other then their starter feed made to meet all their nutritional needs. I add vitamins to their water for 7 days , check butts many times a day , that's it.

If you do medicated feed you don't have to worry about pasty butts as much,as they are getting all they need ,I did that my first few batches ,make it easier on yourself and do one bag of medicated ... just saying [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

Can you explain that? What is in the medicated feed that defends against pasty butt?

7. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I was thinking about this , from chicken chick
    CAUSES OF PASTY BUTT
    · stress and being cold, most commonly seen in chicks shipped through the mail
    · over-heating, most often due to heat lamps
    · less common causes include viral or bacterial infections and improper diet, all of which can result in diarrhea

8. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    does medicated feed prevent/cure these?

9. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Ok, I get it . Why don't you just say you disagree that feeding medicated feed helps a chick have a healthier start then non-medicated feed.
    My chicks have been 100% healthy from day one on medicated fermented feed. Did I say it wrong ?? Maybe , but I was just trying to calm the fears of a new chicken owner .

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

I feed medicated feed from time to time. So no, I don't blanket statement that medicated feed does not give chicks a healthier start.

But, folks need to know what "medication" is, and what it's treating. I have to say, I don't think you do, yet you're advocating it. Just trying to get you to educate yourself before you promote something.

If you're in the US, the "medicated" feed most likely contains amprollium. It's not an antibiotic, does nothing against bacterial or viral infections, or shipping stress. It's a thiamine blocker that aids in the prevention of cocci overload, that's it. It's not going to do anything for pasty butt in littles, or give them a boost against shipping, or anything like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by