Feeding deer meat scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OurLittleChickenFarm, Dec 28, 2009.

1. OurLittleChickenFarm

OurLittleChickenFarm Miracles Happen

Aug 18, 2009
    Aberdeen
    My DH has killed a deer. He quartered it and boned out some of it. The chickens went crazy over the meat still attached to the bones. Is it good for them to let them enjoy this? I saved a few bags of the scraps in the freezer to feed them along on days when I don't have extras for them. [​IMG]

2. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I feed mine left over cooked deer meat all the time but I don't know if raw is good for them or not. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will post once the morning starts to wear off. [​IMG]

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    I've never seen a chicken cook a bug or mouse before eating it, and they're eating the entire creature, including the digestive system, which contains fecal matter. I would think that eating raw deer meat would be pretty safe for them.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I did a search on this a while back. What I found is that it is just fine, same with raw fish. What I did learn though is that some suggested you at least freeze it first to kill any bacteria.

5. OurLittleChickenFarm

Aug 18, 2009
    Aberdeen
    Thank so much everyone! I felt like it would be good for them but just wanted your take on it.[​IMG]

6. mendygnl

mendygnl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Glidden, IA
    Mine love deer meat & I think it's a good protein source - no hormones or chemicals.

7. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    I've seen my friend's chickens eat mice whole. I'd just assume pop a piece of deer meat in my mouth than a nasty old mouse. The wild birds love the back fat I hang in the tree for them. Just like a sewit cake with protein.

8. OurLittleChickenFarm

Aug 18, 2009
    Aberdeen
    Quote:Excellent point!

9. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    I did the same thing this year. Threw a couple deer legs with some scrap meat still on it in the yard. They spent hours and hours picking at them.

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    One post in predators was a guy who had shot a coyote. He threw the carcass in the run and opened it with a knife. He said by dark they had eaten one side pretty well and he was going to flip the carcass over the next day. I have thrown turkey bones in and they go nuts over them. They absolutely clean them off to nothing in short order, kind of like time-lapse photography. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by