1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding different age birds together?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DonkeysandDucks, Jul 29, 2007.

1. DonkeysandDucks

DonkeysandDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    N.W. Louisiana
    Help!!
    I've added two Austrolorp babies (8 weeks) to my flock of ladies that are about 5 months old. All free-range all day, and I've been mixing layer pellets, starter crumbles, cracked corn together and letting them pick what they want or need. BUT, now I'm worried that the "little girls" are getting too much of something or not enough of something.

Any suggestions?

Today I fed them watermelon on the rind! What fun we had!

Thanks
    Cindy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I find that my chickens love to steal each others feed. Layer feed has too much calcium in it for the younger birds. The best compromise is to provide non medicated grower for everybody and give oyster shell free choice. I dont' think they can tell between layer and starter crumbles. They look the same to me at least!

Edit: To keep the babies out of the hen feed, i put the hen feed higher up so the little ones can't see into the dish... or reach it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by