Feeding Drakes + Laying Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OldCrookedToe, Sep 21, 2016.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    My 3 male ducks, rooster, and laying hens all free range in our large fenced backyard all day every day. They are constantly eating out there. Currently the main feeder holds flock raiser which has 20% protein and I have oyster shells and a dish of layer crumble where only the chickens can get it and it's near their nesting boxes. From research I've found that drakes need 14% protein, roosters need 14-16% and laying hens need about 16-20%.
    Should I convert to a 16% crumble or maybe get a mixture of different feeds? It's important my jumbo pekin drakes stay healthy.
    Hens are 6 months
    Drakes are 7-7.5 months
    Rooster is little over a year and needs to regrow feather after a long time spent being beaten up in a bachelor flock.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Firat off it sounds like what you are doing is fine.

2nd,if your rooster is getting into theayer feed he wont live long.Roosters on layer feed tend nit to live very long.As for the drakes keep then and the rooster on all flock.

Also, they need hens.They may begin raping the chickens and will kill them.

3. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    I was afraid they'd start viewing the hens as duck hens but they have never shown any such interest. I imagine if duck hens waltzed in they'd go nuts but they don't even like chickens that much. The rooster has been mostly free range fed but with some occasional all flock & some on & off feather fixer, not laying feed so that's good to know lol. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by